20 Questions with Alicia McKenzie
1. What’s your favorite place in the entire world?
My bed. It’s been there for me through everything. It’s so perfect.
Travel wise, on a Disney Cruise in the middle of the ocean listening to the waves crashing against the side of the ship.
2. What’s the best parenting advice you’ve ever received?
Always get on their level. If my toddler is having some big emotions, I will always get down on the floor with him and look him eye to eye. I’ve done this with all my babies and it diffuses the situation.
3. Do you have any pets?
2 Goldendoodles. Grace and Huck. 4. What is something you are grateful for today?
4. What is something you are grateful for today?
Coffee and blueberry pie. I’m writing from the beach drinking afternoon coffee and eating pie while my children rest/nap.
5. First thing you do in the morning?
Drink water and make my bed, without fail.
6. What is your biggest goal right now?
Expanding my coaching business and nonprofit simultaneously.
7. Last person you hugged?
My husband, in a hot tub watching our babies swim in the pool.
8. What did you want to be when you were a kid?
I wanted to go to The Fashion Institute of Technology (FIT) and be a designer.
9. What is your claim to fame?
Being a competitive USAW weightlifter and crossfit athlete while growing my family. That’s where Lift Like A Mother came from.
10. What are you saving money for right now?
Retirement. We have a goal to be fully retired in 5 years. I’ll be 38.
11. What’s your favorite brunch item?
I’m actually not a brunch person. I don’t like mimosas or pastries. Take it or leave it.
12. Who has been the most influential person in your life?
My mom. We’ve gone through so much loss and have made it out on the other side.
13. What’s your biggest day-to-day challenge?
Knowing when to turn it off. When you enjoy what you do, you just don’t want to stop but for the love of my family, I have to shut it down.
14. When have you given up on something?
I have started companies before and wasn’t clear on my vision which led to me being busy but never accomplishing anything. I had to give up on a few ideas to make room for bigger and better things.
15. What is your favorite way to spend a Saturday?
In the kitchen, around the island, drinking coffee, having conversations with my family.
16. How did you meet your best friends?
Work and Lululemon! I have a small but mighty circle of friends.
17. Do you think you could live in another country?
Yes! I have before and will again. I am a military brat so I’m more adaptable than my spouse :-)
18. What gift have you received that you will always treasure?
Not really a gift but my husband and I buy items that signify important events in our life. When we sold our first company, I bought a purse I had been dreaming of for YEARS and he bought his dream watch. We will pass both items down to our children.
19. Night owl or morning person?
Morning person. I love my 5am wakeups. I feel so accomplished before the kids even get up.
20. Favorite music genre?
Don’t make me choose! I love any and all music. My current playlist consists of Beyonce, Eric Clapton, Drake and Miley Cyrus.
Favorite song of all time? Bohemian Rhapsody. I listened to this song for the first time with my brother when I was a kid. He passed away in 2011. That moment and song is forever ingrained in my heart and mind.